Tag Archives: baby dress

Baby Bea’s Bumblebee Set

NOTE: I apologize for all the wrinkles.  It was one of those aftenoons with on and off showers.  As I began walked the yard for a site to take photos, the rain came up suddenly.  I clutched the outfit and ran inside. Momentarily, it cleared and I did not have time to press it again.  I was in and out of the rain multiple times.

Baby Beatrice, my youngest delight, is most often called “Bea.”  Of course, all things “bee” are suitable for her. Her adoption story is long and complicated  with many twists and turns.  It is clear that the hand of God has chosen her to be Kyle and Joanne’s baby girl.

Like so many adoptions, the first 9 months of her life were very stressful for her parents.  But now with the joy of new parents, they are about to celebrate her first birthday.  Of course, as her officially appointed Nana, I was eager to make a new outfit to mark this important milestone in her life.

The bumblebee pique and the yellow polka dot fabric were purchased shortly after her birth, along with several other “bee” prints especially for her.  One of those fabrics was sewn into a little sundress when she was 4 weeks old, for a  party following her arrival home.

For this bumblebee garment, the pattern used won my heart the first time I saw it.

 

I love the curved lines of the back.

 

Back of Bea’s bumblebee set. I don’t know why didn’t I notice that the top was not centered on the hanger.  Must have been the thunder that distracted me.

 

A special button treatment was used, with a tiny yellow button stacked on a larger black one, echoing the bee color.  I enjoy adding little touches like that.

 

 

One major modification to the pattern was dealing with the 5/8″ seam allowance.  Accustomed to the heirloom/smocking patterns 1/4″ seam allowances,  adjustments had to be made, especially to fit the black gingham picot bias.  The fabric had to be cut to the seam line before being bound with the bias.

 

 

The bloomers are so cute.  They require 5 pieces, the bottom, middle yoke, top, and  two ruffles.   Rather than using a wide hem on the ruffles and leg casing  as instructed in the guide sheet, a zig zag stitch was worked over the elastic.  NOTE:  This technique is detailed in the Stitching Social blog Summer Yo-Yo Fock, another version of this same pattern.

The same black gingham picot bias was added to the leg ruffle that was createdfrom the unused seam allowance. That bias also was used on the bee fabric ruffle.   The edge of the yellow polka dot ruffle was rolled and whipped.

Recently,  this same pattern was used for the yo-yo summer frock, my project for Brother’s blog, Stitching Sewcial.

 

The pattern only goes up to 24 moths or I’d make more garments like this.  I can’t wait to see Bea wearing her bumble bee outfit.

Do you have a favorite pattern you have used more than once?  Please tell us about it.

***Required notification: I am a paid as a Brother Ambassador/sewing expert.

 

 

Christmas Fawn Daydress

Christmas is just around the calendar corner and it’s rush, rush, rush for me and many of you.  I’ve just finished this Swiss batiste dress for Baby Beatrice.

I’ve written in earlier posts about Baby Bea, our new granddaughter via our church. Neither of her parents’ mothers is living,  so months before she was born they asked me to be her official Nana.  That was a happy day!  And, of course, she is a doll, just now 4 months old, which for me has been at least 120 more happy days.

Her daddy is an avid hunter, especially for deer. Bea’s little daydress is a reminder NOT to shoot Bambi or his antlered  father.

But back to the dress……the pattern is Old Fashioned Baby‘s Baby Daydress.

 

 

Like all of Jeannie B’s patterns, this one is a delight to sew and offers several design options.  I love the Scriptures and embroidery designs she places in the blank space around the pattern pieces.

 

 

 

The shadow work fawn is from Joy Welsh’s Applique for Kids.  It stitches just beautifully with her instructions.  The greenery beneath the fawn was extracted from another design which I cannot recall right now.

 

 

 

The holly at the neckline is another design whose origin I cannot recall.  I need to keep better records of what I embroider.

 

Continue reading