Things have been incredibly hectic around here for these past few days. My few free hours have been spent working on this blog, enlarging the pictures and trying to insert a custom photo at the top of each page. Apparently, WordPress gremlins are foiling my efforts because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
I have a pit bull personality. Long after determination and perseverance becomes nothing more than beating my head against the wall, I bang on. But after many of my own wasted hours trying to insert the custom header, then fruitless consultation with my computer scientist daughter (#1 Tech Support), I’ve stepped away from the issue. #2 Tech Support, my computer genius son-in-law, was not even approached as he is up to his USB port designing complicated stuff beyond my ken.
So now that I’ve put it aside, I’ve moved on to getting a “store” up. I’m doing this on my own, without above mentioned tech support, so it will be fairly primitive. But it should work. My original purpose for this blog was to have an outlet for my excessive sewing chit chat and to sell some of my excessive sewing supplies.
As of today, I have written 414 posts. See what I mean about excessive chit chat?!? Surely NO ONE has read all or even most of these. So while I continue to scan, photograph, describe and price store inventory, some of the earliest posts will be re-run. This is a stroll down memory lane for me. It’s probably a walk down a new path for you.
So here it is—Alastair’s Little Lamb Daygown………… Continue reading
Alastair, 2 1/2 months, on antique carriage cover. He had nearly outgrown this daygown, but this was the first time that the harried new parents got around to taking a picture for me. It DID fit when he came home, but at 9 lb.s 6 oz. it didn’t fit very long!
One of the first things I made for Alastair’s layette was his coming home outfit. The daygown was made from Maggie’s Classics Daygown #113 pattern. The matching blanket was featured in a previous post and the sweet little cap will be shown soon.
Obviously, this picture was taken lonnnnnng after he came home from the hospital. He was 2 ½ months old and the gown is ridiculously short. When he was newborn, the length was adequate if not generous. But were I to make another, I would make it much longer. You can see that it still fits him except for the length. But if it had been cut longer, he could have worn it much longer. Continue reading
Yet another ready-to-smock customized to achieve the look I wanted. My gorgeous grandson was just too pretty to suit up in denim bib overalls, but the smocked ruffled sleeve was more fuu-fuu than I wanted.
So after adding blue embroidered Swiss trim and entredeux to the front, I cuffed the sleeves instead of smocking them. The cuff is trimmed like the front, with entredeux and blue Swiss trim.
Like most of the ready-to-smock garments, this is wash and wear. My daughter doesn’t mind ironing the little bit of Swiss trim.
Ahhh…a daughter and grandson to warm the cockles of this old fashioned Nana’s heart. And a son-in-law who indulges my love of classic baby clothing. Ahhhh….life is good!